Bananas have an affinity for RYZE Yellow flour blend, lending a richness to the texture and flavor of this easy-to-make layer cake. Use very ripe bananas for the maximum flavor and/or add ¼ teaspoon banana flavoring to the batter to bump up the flavor. Add toasted walnuts, if you like, or garnish the sides of the frosted cake with crushed walnuts and decorate the top with banana slices. You’ll be seeing yellow, for sure, when you make this deliciously moist cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease two 8-inch round cake pans and dust lightly with RYZE flour.
- Combine the butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl and cream until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, vanilla, and mashed banana and beat well. In a separate bowl, combine the flour blend, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture and beat until thoroughly mixed.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the center comes away clean. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Turn the cakes out onto a rack and cool completely. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- Makes 4 cups, enough to frost a double layer cake and 12 cupcakes
- If you are dairy free, replace the cream cheese with Tofutti or Follow Your Heart dairy free cream cheese and use dairy free buttery sticks in place of butter.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth and fluffy. Add half the sugar and the vanilla and banana extract and beat until smooth. Add remaining sugar, a little at a time, until frosting reaches a spreadable consistency. Add yellow food dye, a few drops at a time, until desired color is reached. Beat again to combine.
- Spoon a small amount of the frosting into the middle of a cake plate and set one layer of the cake, top side down, on the plate. Spread a generous layer of frosting on the top of the cake layer and place the second layer, bottom side down, over the frosted layer. Frost the top and sides and chill the cake.
- Touch up with addition frosting and decorate with banana slices and mint leaves. Or decorate by spooning crushed walnuts around the sides of the cake.
- Baker’s Tip: wrap and freeze the baked and cooled cake layers for 60 minutes. This prevents crumbs from getting into the frosting. Unfrosted cake layers can be wrapped and frozen for 6 weeks.