Settle down after a long day with a cup of tea and a chocolate cupcake with hints of cinnamon and cayenne. The combination of flavors will have you reaching for seconds.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a 12-serving cupcake pan with paper or foil liners; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream oil and sugar together until well combined, and sand-like.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until well incorporated.
- Add vanilla and dairy-free milk and beat just until combined.
- Add flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cayenne, and salt. Mix on low until well combined.
- Pour in the hot water and mix until combined and batter is smooth.
- Fill cupcake liners about ¾ full (approximately ¼ cup of batter).
- Bake 20 – 22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting, cream butter and vanilla. Add cocoa and beat until combined. Add in powdered sugar one cup at a time, alternating with dairy-free milk. Continue to beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Frost cupcakes.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
This recipe was developed by Chrystal Carver from Gluten Free Palate. Chrystal website features a collection of recipes, reviews, cookbooks and travel advice for the gluten free. Website can be found here: www.glutenfreepalate.com. Photo credit also goes to Chrystal Carver.