With a balance of tart and sweet, these scones have a bright, refreshing taste. They can be made with dried raspberries. See instructions below. For best results, use frozen, unthawed raspberries; fresh berries may be too wet for this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix together flour blend, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon rind.
- Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work the butter into dry ingredients, until you have created a coarse meal. Stir in raspberries to coat with dry ingredients.
- Make a well in dry mixture. Break eggs into the well. Add the milk starting with about 4 tablespoons, and the honey. Mix together to form a soft, slightly sticky, slightly crumbly dough. (The dough will seem uneven at this point with chunks of butter and raspberries visible in the dough.) If too crumbly, add the remaining tablespoon of milk or cream.
- Sprinkle 1 to 2 teaspoons of the reserved flour onto a sheet of parchment paper. Turn the dough onto the lightly floured surface. Use a sheet of plastic wrap to help press the dough into a round, flattened circle that is about 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 8 equal triangles. Gently separate the wedges. Arrange on baking sheets. Brush tops with egg glaze.
- Bake 18 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. When cool, drizzle lemon glaze (below) over the tops.