These shortbread cookies dipped in chocolate make for delightful treats and great holiday gifts. They are one of the RYZE offices favorite cookies!
For the Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine RYZE flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla and beat to combine.
- On low speed, slowly add flour mixture, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Cover with a second sheet of plastic wrap and roll to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Use a 2 ½ inch biscuit or other circle cutter to cut out cookies. Use a ¼ to ½ inch circle to cut out the centers. Gather the extra dough from around the sides of the cutouts. Slide the piece of plastic with the cut out cookies onto a cutting board or the back of a baking sheet and refrigerate for 15 minutes so the cookies can be lifted without tearing.
- Place cookies on prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-15 minutes until edges are just barely golden brown.
- Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- Gather remnants of dough into a ball, roll out and cut into more circles as above.
To make the Fudge Stripes and Bottoms:
- Spread wax paper on your countertop. Dip bottoms of cookies in melted chocolate, allowing excess to drip off before placing on wax paper.
- Pour remaining melted chocolate into a re-sealable sandwich bag with a corner snipped off and pipe stripes on the cookies.
- Once all of the cookies have been coated in chocolate on one side, transfer the remaining chocolate to a small pastry bag fitted with a small, plain tip or a plastic baggie with a hole poked in one corner.
- Drizzle each cookie with stripes. Let chocolate firm up before serving cookies.
- *Melt ¾ of the chocolate in a large heat-proof bowl over boiling water. Remove from the heat and add 1 to 2 teaspoons of water (or more) until chocolate is smooth but not too thin. Add remaining chocolate to melted chocolate and stir until smooth. Add more boiling water if necessary.