Don’t feel like making a pie? A galette is an easier option that looks rustic and gorgeous to serve to guests or your family.
- Roll out pie crust into a large circle on parchment paper by putting down the paper first, then the dough and then a layer of saran wrap. You can do this directly on a large sheet pan lined with parchment paper so you do not have to transfer the crust!
- Carefully mix all of the filling ingredients into a large bowl and then pile high into the middle of the rolled out pie shell. Leave about 1- 1 ½ inch diameter around the edge free from filling.
- Carefully take the edges and fold over towards the center, making sure there aren’t large gaps for the filling to ooze out of (a little oozing is ok by the way). If the crust breaks, simply mold together with your fingers in those spots and mold the dough with your hands around the fruit.
- After the crust is folded all of the way around the filling, sprinkle the top and edges with just a little sugar. If you are not vegan, brush the crust first with the egg wash and sprinkle sugar on the crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Increase the heat to 375 and bake another 20-30 minutes until lightly browned. You want the crust to be lightly browned and the fruit to ooze out some of their juices when finished. Definitely enjoy with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!
Elizabeth Bahnsen, RDN developed this recipe exclusively for RYZE. Elizabeth works within the food industry to create recipes for companies with outstanding ingredients. Visit her websites at www.yourfamilytable.org and www.rcpboulder.com for more information.
Image is copyrighted by Paul Perreault firstname.lastname@example.org