The perfect pie crust for all occasion. The pie crust it light and flakey and holds together well after being cooked. Using our RYZE Blue Flour Blend makes this crust pliable and easy to handle and delivers a delicate, flaky crust. The crust can also be used for quiche and potpies!
- Mix together flour and salt.
- With pastry cutter or two knives, cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. You can use a food processor but do not over process.
- Add water, vinegar and flax meal (optional) mixture. Mix with a fork until dough comes together.
- Transfer to a sheet of plastic wrap and pat the dough into a soft, smooth disc. Divide dough into two equal pieces.
- Transfer each piece to plastic wrap, flatten and form into a disc. Chill for at least one hour. The dough will remain soft.
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Once chilled set dough on the counter. Using two sheets of plastic wrap, roll each piece into a circle that is about 1/8th inch thick and a little bit larger in diameter than a 9-inch pie pan. Remover the top sheet of plastic wrap. Slide a hand under the bottom sheet and turn one crust over onto prepared pie pan. Press into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Use the tines of a fork to prick the bottom of the crust. Brush the bottom of the crust with beaten egg.
Add desired filling!
Note: Before rolling out, allow the dough to rest on the counter to soften slightly. Dough is easiest to roll out the same day that it is prepared. However, it can be wrapped well and refrigerated up to one week or frozen for 3 weeks. Alternatively, roll the dough out. Press into pie shells and freeze. Let sit in freezer for an hour before wrapping well with plastic and placing in Ziploc bag.